There is no doubt that as covid-19 has hit our world, many people are living in fear of the news headlines and the unknowns. And there is a wide diversity of opinions among Christians, as to whether this is a work of Satan, or God’s judgment. So how are we to make sense of all that is happening in our time? We are living with a virus we can’t see, is no respecter of borders, and can be asymptomatic or a killer.
Well surely, we are being reminded of at least four things:
1. We are suffering the consequences of living in a fallen world
2. Our mortality
3. We are not really in control of our lives
4. Those things we love to worship have been toppled:
a. Money – with the stock markets collapsing, businesses closing, unemployment rising, and JP Morgan predicting the biggest recession since the Great Depression
b. Sport – with every sport being affected and even the 2020 Olympics being threatened with postponement
c. Leisure – with flights being cancelled, travel bans being imposed, museums and theatres closing, and Cornwall stating loudly and clearly ‘no holiday makers!’
d. Educational Success – with schools closed, exams cancelled, and grades being calculated
e. Body Image – with health and fitness clubs being closed
5. Pray that many people will hit the spiritual ‘reset button’ in their lives, as they are brought face to face with these realities.
6. Make a plan of how YOU are going to nurture/develop your faith in these difficult and uncertain days.
“Increase our faith.” (Luke 17:5)